Saturday, May 14, 2011

Preparing for Battle

This is my basement.  I'm gesso-ing on a beer pong table.   hahaha

I've been preparing for battle for the past two days now.  I stretched all of these yesterday in my basement, and then gave them two coats of acrylic gesso.  I got up at 8AM today to give them another coat before I sand them down, and then give them another coat or two and sand again, and repeat as necessary.  I am terrified of canvas rot (I don't know if this is a technical term... when the oil paint soaks through the gesso and destroys the canvas and the painting).  I take gesso-ing very seriously.  I started using Rabbit Skin Glue and probably like it more than acrylic, but since I had a tub of acrylic gesso, I just went for it.


Burlap.

I stretched two surfaces of burlap, one over a frame, and the other over a bad panel that I originally had made for egg tempera painting.  I'm hoping I fall in love with painting on burlap, since it's a lot cheaper than regular canvas...

No comments:

Post a Comment