Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Love Letter to Paul Thek

Comforting Thek. © 2010 Uban.  Acrylic, paper, acetate, marker.  17x 35.5 inches.
Comforting Thek is my love letter to Paul that I made for my Intermediate Drawing class last semester.  It was inspired by the "Paul Thek: Diver, A Retrospective" Show at the Whitney.  October 21, 2010-January 9, 2011. (See the article in The Fader "NYC: Bring Your Girlfriend to See Paul Thek’s Rubber Flesh + Wild Bad Paintings" "at the Whitney by Naomi Zeichner.)


Up close.
The acetate layer is a drawing of silhouettes of students around the Bell Tower on campus.  I sat on a bench in front of Paley Library and drew as many people as I could walking past for an hour, and later made several transfers on to acetate and other media.

No comments:

Post a Comment